Translate

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

bucket brigades

Now news today of NYC Bellevue hospital having to be completely evacuated.  I wonder how the rest of the hospitals in the city are absorbing hundreds of patients.  I think of how tight beds often are among the hospitals in my city.

I have seen stories about "bucket brigades" of people passing cans of oil up 12 flights of stairs to fuel generators on upper floors and this has been going on for more than 24 hours.  Also bringing patients down more than 12 floors to be evacuated by ambulance. Imagine bringing a critically ill patient and all their equipment down that many stairs...I can't imagine it. Makes you think about something similar happening in your own hospital.

Then there is the fact that there are now 2 less hospitals in a city of millions including a trauma center. Another thought I had was with the terrible traffic jams there, how are emergency vehicles getting through?

I wish them well

Donate to the Red Cross.

No comments: