Translate

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

dead skunk in the middle of the road

One day a couple of weeks ago, I took my usual route into the ER and I encountered a smell....
It really started before I even got to the ER itself.  Whew what is that?!!
Now as an ER nurse, I am used to bad smells  - GI bleeds, dirty feet, that homeless odor, alcohol and cigarettes, etc.  But this smell topped them all. 

As I walked into the ER it only got worse. It literally smelled like a sewer.  The thing is, it was the sewer.  It seems one of the pipes that drained sewage was having a problem and was backed up or something.  This went on for a couple of hours,  The whole ER smelled like a sewer. 

Did we close down or anything?  Of course not.  We carried on, feeling queezy and our eyes smarting. The thing is the smell was the worst in triage.  It was a "welcome to hood rat hospital, yes that smell is sewage. If you aren't nauseated now, you will be..." situation.

No comments: