Translate

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

madness: beacon of virtue


Every once in a while (okay its rare), I say to myself: Madness, you have to change. You have got to stop the profanity on the blog. You have to stop being an evil bitch (oops). Stop being so damn (!) cynical and hateful and acting like all the patients are dumb losers. Be the professional you were trained to be. You know - caring and skilled, soothin' fevered brows, sheddin' an occasional tear, lots of nodding in sympathy, etc. That usually lasts about one blog post and I'm back to my normal self...it's a hopeful endeavor...

May I just say that I get a perverse delight pissing people off on the blog. When all the dysfunctionistas and dysfunctionistos come forward calling for my head, it is fun. They call me an unsympathetic, uncaring nurse who should leave the profession, get a new job, etc.  They are right. BADA BOOM.

I don't fit in with what a nurse is supposed to be: kind, gentle, caring, self sacrificing, understanding, etc. I am kind of at the opposite end of that spectrum. If you are nice to me, I'll be nice to you. If you treat me like shit, I'm not going out of my way for you. Sorry. Just because I am a nurse doesn't mean I have to put up with abuse, rudeness, yelling, cussing, threatening, etc. Sorry not gonna happen.

I especially enjoy the fibromyalgiers, migraineurs, chronic back painers when they comment. They often go back to their friends on forums or sites that they frequent and tell everybody to go to the blog and comment. May I just say: I welcome you. Come one. Come all.

I fancy myself kind of like lady liberty, a beacon of virtue in the emergency room...

This is the motto I try to live by:

"Give me your tired, your dysfunctional,
your huddled back painers, yearning for one more script for percocet,
The wretched sunglass wearing migraineurs wanting benadryl with their dilaudid,
Send these, the fibromyalgiacs, with their fauning families to me,
I sneer inside the emergency golden door."

Of course this is based on the inscription on the statue of liberty:
Give me your tired, your poor, 
Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free, 
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, 
Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you got to the point where you need professional help. Or a vacation.

Anonymous said...

As a fellow nurse, I wish the nay sayers could take a one year walk in your shoes. Keep the light burning girl!

Anonymous said...

This whole blog sounds more more normal if one believes you are a MALE nurse instead of a female. Carry on. LOL

Anonymous said...

I agree completely and love your blog. 'I need Benadryl with my delaudid, oh and you don't have to give it over two minutes you can push it faster than that for me'. Ugh! 10 minutes concurrent on the pump it is my friend.
Anyway, keep up the good work and writing!

girlvet said...

Actually I am a man. I have been keeping it from all of you for years.

As far as professional help, I tried it and it and it didn't help. I am, however, heavily medicated.

Anonymous said...

You are a total b**** remember that karma comes around and it too can be a b****

steycough said...

navigate to this website go to the website reference hop over to this website useful site https://www.dolabuy.ru/

meathi said...

k6i82s7q37 v3m82k5r52 v3l83b5s10 f6a67z3l29 i8k97k2z61 t7o60l8n57