Translate

Monday, January 16, 2012

please don't pee in the wastebasket

Today sucked. Of course. Its a monday. Its winter. There is vomiting and diarrhea and coughing and a lot of gnashing of teeth going on. People are depressed and tearful and bloated and dizzy and weak.

It was the kind of day in which one of my patients chose to pee into the wastebasket. That was a lot of fun. The thing is some made it into the basket and some didn't...

It was busy through to about 7 pm and then triage cleared out and there were empty rooms and we got a breather for a little bit. Mr pee-in-the-basket man finally went up after waiting 3 hours for a room. He was actually able to put urine in a urinal before he left and I thought to myself: "he's trainable". And life was good.

Another typically crazy day in the ER, in which I questioned my own sanity at least 3 times during the day. Then life went on and I got to go home on time.

2 comments:

Eileen said...

Could have been worse - it might have been one of the wastepaper bins made of the sort of metal mesh stuff - it'd all have been on the floor then.

Anonymous said...

I had a patient pee in the wastebasket that happened to be right beside his bed......He goes, it was either here or on the floor.....well fair enough. Actually I was glad he DID use the wastebasket because he'd already fallen 3 times since admission.