Translate

Sunday, February 03, 2013

when it hits close to home

Over the years I have seen a lot of bad things happen to people in the ER.  Sometimes they have been my coworkers. What brings this up? Right now, somebody that has worked in the hospital for years is very ill, and although they are doing well now, they will eventually die of their disease.  I don't know them very well, but it bothers me anyway.

I have had two co-workers who I worked with for years die when they were only in their 50's.  One died suddenly.  The other died over the course of year.  I had worked with them for many years. It was very hard.  I watched thier children grow up through pictures and stories. They were a big part of my life seeing them at work every day.  Then suddenly they were gone.

When you work in a place for a long time, you see a lot of things.  I have seen my co-workers - doctors, nurses, techs get fired for drug use.  One staff member committed suicide. People have had cancer and survived it.  People have lost children in tragic ways. I seen pretty much seen it all.  Your job becomes a microcosm of life in general and all its triumphs and tragedies.

Good things have happened to, don't get me wrong.  People have had great success - become nurses, doctors, lawyers. Many peoples children have grown up and gone to college.  But somehow, the bad things that happen to such good people seem to stand out more sometimes...

No comments: