Translate

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

help wanted: jack of all trades


This blog entry inspired by ER Nurse Insanity.

My job is really hard. Every time I come home from work I am exhausted physically and mentally.  Why have I stayed so long?  Its hard to remember.  My cynical sarcastic burned out self prevents me from remembering.

I tell myself its the hours, the 12 hour shifts.  I get a lot of days off.  The thing is I could get 12 hours in another area.  I say I like my coworkers.   Chances are pretty good that I would like my coworkers in another area too.

So if I clear away all of the crusty burnout and get down to the core of me, here's what I would say:

1) Its challenging. Every day.
2) It has variety.  Every day is different. You see all different kinds of people and cultures.
3) Its fun sometimes.  People are crazy and weird and what they do is funny a lot of the time.
4) My co workers are cool.  They are interesting, funny, bold, caring.
5) I'm good at it.
6) You are always learning new things.
7)  We do help people.

So ...I don't think of these things very often.  Most of the time I can't stand it.  Every day I think about looking for another job.  But I don't.  After working in this kind of environment for so long, what am I gonna do? Home care? Clinic? Insurance company?  I wouldn't last 5 minutes.  So here I am..still plugging along.