Sometimes I am amazed at how stupid drug seekers are. In an effort to educate them, I offer Drug Seeker 101: an ER nurses guide to what not to do when seeking drugs..
1) You came in the door just fine and then by the time you get to the desk you are limping like the hunchback of Notre Dame: RED FLAG.
2) You say you are allergic to: tramadol, NSAIDs, tylenol: RED FLAG
3) You say your pain is 10/10 and your BP is 100/60, HR 62: RED FLAG
4) You are too polite: yes sir, yes ma'am: RED FLAG
5) You say you just got here from out of town, you can't get an appointment for a couple of weeks, your meds got stolen/lost: RED FLAG
6) You kneel, lay on the floor, lay on the bench out in the waiting room: RED FLAG
7) You say you were seen at another hospital and "they didn't do anything": RED FLAG
8) You have been here a couple of times recently, received narcotics and never followed up: RED FLAG
9) Your relative says you need a stretcher and have to be lifted out of the car, but somehow you made it into the car at home: RED FLAG
10) We know your name without having to ask: RED FLAG
There will be a quiz later...