Monday, November 28, 2011
the blood curdling scream
1) Nobody home: No one answers the phone...at all.
2) Limbo move: Put you on eternal hold.
3) The switcheroo: Different nurses answer the phone and transfer you to other areas where the nurse taking report supposedly is. You end up back at the desk eventually.
4) The stunner: The HUC "accidentally" hangs up on you.
5) Housekeeping reverse play: Housekeeping has not arrived, just started, cleaning the room.
6) The CTD* defense: One of the patients on the unit is crashing and all of the nurses are involved, no one is available. (* circling the drain)
7) The dodge: The nurse "just transferred a patient", "just got another patient", they will "call you back".
8) The surprise play: As you are giving report, the nurse puts you on hold to talk to the charge nurse about whether this patient is appropriate for their unit.
9) The delay: The nurse is on break, at lunch or dinner and the buddy is way too busy to take report.
10) The shift changer: It is an hour before, or an hour after shift change. The nurses are all in report, they are doing their first assessments, the patient will go to the oncoming nurse after shift change, etc etc.
If you hear a blood curdling scream echoing through the halls of the hospital its probably an ER nurse who can't give report...
Posted by girlvet at 12:12 AM