Wednesday, November 30, 2011
uncle, I say, uncle...
I have come to the conclusion that I, madness the nurse, cannot possibly be the nurse that my employer wants me to be. So I've decided that I won't even try.
Here is what my employer wants me to do as a nurse:
1) Always have a shit eating grin on my face.
2) When someone calls me a "fucking bitch" and threatens me, "de-escalate" the situation by trying to understand the patients point of view.
3) Do not judge anybody - happily give narcotics to that drug seeker. Welcome that frequent flyer with a "hey Bob, what can we do for you today?".
4) Never question the doctor - THEY ARE THE DOCTOR and you're not, remember that. If the doctor chooses to order 50 tests on every person, give dilaudid to heroin Harry, that is their perogative. Your job is to carry out that order, no questions asked.
5) Be okay with the fact that some of your coworkers cannot carry their share of the load and you are going to have to pick up the slack. "We"re a team".
6) Be okay with working short in a high acuity, inner city ER that doesn't have the option to close the door, or refuse patients. Your employer is trying to save money by running lean..
7) Remember to fill in the 500 blanks required on every chart for every patient you see. Expect a nastygram if you don't.
8) Accept the daily change in the electronic charting that you do and be okay with changes in things like blood administration, which used to have maybe 4 or 5 boxes to fill in, now has about 20. "We're just trying to make things better and safer".
9) Be okay with the inefficient flow of patients to inpatient rooms. Understand that housekeeping has to have at least 2 hours to clean a room and that the nurses upstairs are way busier than you are.
10) Do not complain...about anything. You knew what you were getting into when you got this job, so stop whining.
I am officially throwing the towel in.
Posted by girlvet at 12:07 AM